Monroeville Personal Injury Lawyers
Monroeville residents enjoy suburban convenience with close proximity to Pittsburgh. But whether spending time close to home or commuting to the city, accidents can happen anywhere. And if you are injured in an accident, the steps you take after an accident can be some of the most important ones you take.
Client Testimonial – David & Lisa
Steps to take following an accident:
- Seek medical treatment– If there is any chance you suffered an injury as a result of an accident, it is critical that you see a doctor or go to the hospital right away. Early treatment can not only improve your prognosis but can also help strengthen your claim for injuries even if your symptoms do not appear until later.
- Obtain legal advice– Speak with a personal injury lawyer. If you suffered anything more than the most minor of injuries, an attorney can review your case and help you obtain a fair settlement. Even if your injuries seem minor, speak to an attorney before agreeing to a settlement; once you sign settlement papers, you will be giving up the right to re-open the claim if your injury persists or is worse than you originally knew.
- Participate in the investigation– There are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, the other party may want to interview you. You may or may not need to comply depending on the stage of the case and what your personal attorney advises. but most importantly, never speak to anyone without your attorney present. Second, your lawyer will do an extensive investigation to understand and be able to prove the cause and effect of the accident. Be prepared to share about your background, medical treatment, and disabilities caused by the injuries.
- Understand the monetary value of your claim– Your personal injury lawyer will consider your out-of-pocket costs, non-economic damages, and expected long-term effect to arrive at a settlement value for your claim. Your attorney may also work with experts who can calculate the impact of a serious accident and who may also be able to testify on your behalf.
- Demand, negotiate, settle, or prepare for trial – Your attorney will state your case and possibly negotiate a settlement. If the other parties are not prepared to offer full compensation, your lawyer will file a lawsuit. The litigation process can last 1-2 years and will involve more investigation by the other parties, and possibly negotiation through mediation. If the negotiations are unsuccessful, the case may go to trial.
Speak with a personal injury lawyer
A personal injury lawsuit may vary in length depending on the case, but it is extremely important to take action as soon as possible. Your Monroeville personal injury attorney will get to work right away to investigate your claim, make sure you meet the necessary deadlines, and handle case-related communications on your behalf.
At Chaffin Luhana, we are committed to representing the rights of those who have been injured or lost a loved one because of someone else’s negligence. Schedule a free consultation with a member of our team today.