Lyft Accident Attorney
Ridesharing companies like Lyft have exploded in popularity in Pittsburgh and elsewhere. Riders have embraced the system because it offers convenient scheduling through an app and much lower fares than traditional taxi cabs. Drivers like the ability to drive as independent contractors for “a side gig,” without all the barriers to entry associated with the taxi industry.
Unfortunately, the lower training and insurance requirements can also put riders in an unfortunate position when something goes wrong, or an accident occurs. On the bright side, Pittsburgh residents can always exercise their rights to pursue monetary compensation from negligent parties.
At Chaffin Luhana, we offer free consultations and contingency-based representation to people who have been injured in a Lyft car accident and their families. Call today to speak with an experienced and dedicated Lyft accident attorney about your case.
Laws That May Pertain to a Lyft Accident in Pittsburgh
If you or a loved one have been involved in a Lyft accident in Pittsburgh, it helps to know the laws. When you partner with Chaffin Luhana, your Lyft accident attorney will examine your case thoroughly to determine in any of these laws were violated in relation to your crash and resultant injuries.
Pittsburgh ride-sharing laws require that:
- Lyft vehicles be in good condition to pass state inspection, with four doors, Model Year 2006 or higher.
- Lyft drivers be at least 21 years of age with a valid state driver’s license.
- Lyft drivers must maintain current vehicle registration and carry locally accepted insurance.
The Public Vehicle-For-Hire Innovation Act adds a few extra requirements:
- Privately owned Lyft vehicles must be contacted by app, not street-hailed or stand-hailed like taxi cabs.
- Criminal background checks and minimum insurance ($50,000 / $100,000 / $25,000) are required.
- The app must present riders with the license plate number and a photograph of the prospective driver.
- Lyft drivers must pass checks for criminal background, sex offender registry, and driving records.
Internally, Lyft drivers are held to certain standards, as outlined in the company safety policies. For instance, they are instructed not to pick up passengers under age 18 without an accompanying adult.
Lyft drivers and passengers may not carry weapons – including firearms, stun guns, explosives, knives, slingshots, and tasers — even where it is legal to possess and carry.
Drivers and passengers are not allowed to smoke in Lyft vehicles. Drivers are not allowed to videotape passengers or broadcast images. Sexual assault cases will be handled confidentially in the means of the victim’s choosing, whether through arbitration, mediation, or court.
If you file Lyft crash lawsuit, your legal team will have to establish:
- You were a patron of Lyft at the time of the accident, and the driver owed you a duty of care.
- The Lyft driver acted in a way that was negligent in providing the standard duty of care.
- You sustained serious injuries in the Lyft accident.
- The failure to maintain the duty of care was the cause of your serious injuries.
While these elements are similar to any car crash, the fact that Lyft drivers are considered “independent contractors” and separate entities from Lyft itself can have an impact on your case.
Typically, employees are covered by their employers while acting under the terms of employment. This legal doctrine of respondeat superior is very helpful in securing adequate compensation, as employers are typically better insured than individuals.
Lawyers typically argue that Lyft drivers should be treated as employees, not just independent contractors, but the final interpretation is up to the courts. Many auto insurers offer special packages to cover Lyft and Uber drivers, which increases your odds of achieving a maximum settlement.
How to File Lyft Accident Claims
Your first call following a Lyft accident should be to 9-1-1 to seek medical attention. Even if you don’t feel terribly hurt, it is important to get fully checked out by a health care professional to ensure there aren’t latent issues likely to arise. Sometimes a little bit of “soreness” can turn out to be soft tissue damage that manifests later.
Speak With a Lyft Accident Lawyer at Chaffin Luhana
If you have been injured in a ridesharing accident, you should speak with a car accident lawyer from Chaffin Luhana. We are truly “in your corner” following a ridesharing accident.
Our team only gets paid if you get money in a settlement or jury award. We will fully investigate what happened, identify areas of liability, and fight for the maximum recovery to pay your past and future medical bills, take the time you need off work, and afford the best possible rehabilitation.
We have a proven track record of success. Our attorneys have recovered over $1 billion and counting for our clients.. Contact an experienced car accident attorney in Pittsburgh today.