At the Manhattan DA’s office, he focused on complex fraud and financial crimes and also served as the Deputy Chief of the Intellectual Property Crime Unit. Mr. Cohn took over 12 cases to verdict, conducted over 40 evidentiary hearings, and presented over 100 cases to Grand Juries. His prosecution of multiple trademark infringement cases at the DA’s office was recognized by the Motion Picture Association of America.
Mr. Cohn is also a former law clerk to the Honorable William J. Martinez of the United States District Court for the District of Colorado.
Mr. Cohn has been actively involved in representing plaintiffs in the area of mass tort pharmaceutical and medical device litigation. He has represented plaintiffs in the Philadelphia Mass Tort Program (MTP) In Re: Denture Cream Litigation and as well the In Re: Denture Cream Product Liability Litigation (MDL) in the Southern District of Florida. These cases involved plaintiffs who suffered hematological and neurological injuries from denture creams containing zinc. Mr. Cohn has also represented clients injured by defective hip and knee implants in various state and federal courts across the county, including the Smith & Nephew R3 artificial hip implant mass tort litigation in Tennessee state court, which resulted in millions of dollars in recoveries for plaintiffs. Mr. Cohn further represents clients in the General Motors vehicle ignition switch defect MDL in the Southern District of New York, and represented various plaintiffs on fuel gel explosion cases across the county.
Prior to joining Chaffin Luhana, Mr. Cohn practiced at another nationwide plaintiffs firm in New York. During his time with that firm, he focused on securities fraud, consumer fraud, and antitrust litigation. He also handled vehicle design defect cases in the In Re: Ford Motor Company E-350 Van Products Liability Litigation (II). He further represented the lead plaintiff in the In Re: Citigroup Inc. Securities Litigation, a class action involving collateralized debt obligations fraud, which settled for $590 million.
Mr. Cohn resides with his wife in New Jersey. He enjoys spending time with his family, cooking, and traveling.
Steven’s 2017 Chaffin Luhana Foundation charity donation was to Operation Smile. Steven’s contribution will help Operation Smile continue providing medical programs for children with cleft palates and lips throughout the world.
Additional Plaintiff Successes
- $590 million class settlement against Citigroup Inc. on behalf of investors
- $3,800,000 product liability settlement
- $2,000,000 settlement for woman burned by gel fuel
- $725,000 settlement for injury from a defective hip implant
- $475,000 product liability settlement
- $170,000 settlement for injury from a defective table saw
- Auto and Trucking
- Environmental – Water Contamination
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Mass Torts
- Worker Injury
- Northwestern University School of Law; J.D., Bluhm Legal Clinic, Center for Juvenile Justice and Wrongful Convictions
- The Johns Hopkins University; B.A. in Political Science
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Member, New York Bar Association
- Member, InjuryBoard
- New York
- E.D. New York
- S.D. New York