Best Ways to Stay Safe While Riding a Bicycle
Summertime means outdoor activities, and now that we are in the heart of summer many people have broken out their bikes, pumped up the tires, and hopefully dusted off their helmets.
While riding a bike is a great way to get around, catch some exercise, and have fun with friends and family, it can also be dangerous if you don’t take the necessary safety precautions. While some things are obvious, like wearing a helmet, other ways to stay safe may not be at the forefront of your mind.
So, in order to help keep you and your loved ones as safe as possible this summer, we have compiled a list of the best ways to stay safe while riding a bike.
1. Follow the rules of the road. If you are not riding on a trail, then bikes are meant to be ridden on the street, following the same traffic rules as cars. Remember to ride with the flow of traffic, not against it.
2. Learn proper hand signals for turning. Other vehicles need to be aware of what you are doing while on the road, and as you know, bicycles do not have turn signals, so be sure you know how to properly signal before taking your bike to the street.
3. Do not wear headphones or listen to music while biking. This will help keep you alert, so you are able to hear and be aware of your surroundings and on-coming vehicles.
4. Keep both hands on the handlebars and both feet on the pedals. Riding your bike on the street is no time to show off or practice your tricks. Only remove a hand from the handlebars when absolutely necessary, like when you are signaling to drivers that you are turning.
5. Wear a helmet, reflectors, and other protective clothing in case of a collision. A helmet is essential when riding a bike and can quite literally save your life in a crash. Reflectors are critical in preventing an accident from ever happening. Bright colors and reflectors will help other vehicles on the road to see you, especially if you are riding at dusk or dawn.
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, do not hesitate to contact Chaffin Luhana today for a free case evaluation. Our personal injury law firm can help victims recover physically and financially after a bike accident.