Chaffin Luhana Anti-Distracted Driving Scholarship
This year, the Chaffin Luhana Foundation has partnered with Pittsburgh Steelers Running Back Najee Harris and his Da’ Bigger Picture Foundation.
The submission period for the 2022 Anti-Distracted Driving Scholarship has ended. We will announce the winner in the coming weeks.
The 2022 Chaffin Luhana Anti-Distracted Driving Scholarship Essay Contest
One of the Chaffin Luhana Foundation’s missions is to drive down the staggering number of distracted driving accidents in the United States. The Foundation will be awarding a $2,500 scholarship to a student who helps us in this fight by submitting an inspiring personal essay.
- Must be currently registered at an accredited high school, college, or university in the Greater Pittsburgh area* including Western Pennsylvania, Eastern Ohio and Northern West Virginia.
- Currently going into or in final year of high school or enrolled as an undergraduate student.
- Must be under the age of 25 as of July 31, 2022.
- Scholarship money must be used towards student housing, books, or tuition.
Submission Criteria & Rules:
Write an original 500-750-word essay about one of the following topics:
- Personal Experience. Have you had a personal experience with distracted driving? If so, how has it impacted your life?
- Take charge. Create a realistic distracted driving awareness campaign to effectively reduce the number of distracted driving related auto accidents in the U.S. Please include: ways to better educate the public about the dangers of distracted driving; steps that can be taken to prevent new, young drivers from distracted driving; and actionable steps that can be taken to put an end to distracted driving.
- How do you think technology and recent technology advancements have impacted the rise of distracted driving in the United States? Also, how big of a role do you believe that technology can have in putting an end to distracted driving?*Properly cite any statistics, surveys, studies, or news stories that you use in your essay to support your points*
You must post on social media tagging The Chaffin Luhana Foundation (@ChaffinLuhanaFoundation) and Chaffin Luhana LLP (@ChaffinLuhana) to let us know you submitted your essay, and briefly explain why you think this cause is important. Make sure to include your social post link in your essay submission form (your post must be made public in order for us to see it!)
Example Post: I just submitted my essay for the End Distracted Driving Scholarship to the Chaffin Luhana Foundation! I think it’s important to end distracted driving because _____________.
The following information must be included in your email to consider your essay:
- Name, address, phone number (Please place this information at the top of your essay)
- At the end of your essay, include the name of your accredited school, college, or university you currently attend and your plans for the future.
July 31, 2022
One student who meets the eligibility criteria and attends a high school, college, or university within the Greater Pittsburgh Area will be awarded a one-time $2,500 scholarship.
*Greater Pittsburgh Area includes counties in Western Pennsylvania, Eastern Ohio, Northern West Virginia. Includes Allegheny County, PA, Armstrong County, PA, Beaver County, PA, Butler County, PA, Fayette County, PA, Lawrence County, PA, Indiana County, PA, Greene County, PA, Washington County, PA, Westmoreland County, PA, Brooke County, WV, Hancock County, WV, Columbiana County OH, Jefferson County, OH, .
Chaffin Luhana LLP reserves the right to share the winner’s name and their submission, either in full or in part, on the Chaffin Luhana LLP website, social media channels, or other outlets via press release.