Pittsburgh Surgical Error Injury Accident Attorneys
Have You Had Lasting Consequences After a Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Surgery Error?
The Pittsburgh surgical error attorneys at Chaffin Luhana represent patients who are injured due to mistakes made before, during or shortly after surgery. If you feel that you or someone you love has suffered pain, infection, or other injuries because of surgical mistakes, contact our Pittsburgh medical malpractice lawyers today.
Preventable mistakes made before, during or after surgery can have devastating, life-threatening consequences. Examples of surgical errors include:
- Perforations of vital organs, muscles and tissue that can lead to severe infection and other serious injuries such as nerve damage, paralysis and brain damage
- Anesthesia errors that can lead to oxygen deprivation, coma and death
- Leaving a surgical tool such as a sponge inside a patient, which can cause severe bleeding, infection and perforations
- Improper placement of breathing tubes can cause permanent brain damage or death
- Blood clots in the legs (deep vein thrombosis)
Mistakes can also be made if a surgeon misreads a surgical or medical chart. For example, a surgeon may operate on the wrong body part or on the wrong patient all together.
What You Can Do Before Surgery
Surgical mistakes can cost a patient his or her life. Some things you can do to help prevent mistakes from happening include:
- Check out your surgeon before undergoing surgery: ask him or her questions about your surgery such as how many of these procedures he or she has performed.
- Make sure the nurses know your full name and what type of surgery you are having to make sure you are in the right place.
- Ask your surgeon to confirm the surgery site before beginning so you can rest assured that he or she will be operating on the right body part.
- Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions. For example, ask questions like, can you eat or drink before the procedure?
These are just some things you can do to put yourself at ease before surgery. But, if something does go wrong and you are injured during surgery, or if someone you love dies during or after surgery due to a severe infection or internal bleeding, you should talk to a Pittsburgh surgical error attorney as soon as possible. An experienced surgical error injury lawyer can help determine whether medical malpractice occurred and can help you collect compensation for your suffering.