Pittsburgh Uber Accident Attorneys
Have You Suffered Injuries From A Pittsburgh Uber Accident?
Chaffin Luhana supports Pittsburgh, PA residents with experienced and dedicated Uber accident attorneys. We address local ride-sharing laws, who pays for an Uber accident, what to do following a collision, and reasons why you may consider filing a lawsuit.
If you have been involved in an accident involving an Uber, it is always best to contact a qualified Pittsburgh car accident lawyer to discuss your legal options. When you speak with a Pittsburgh Uber accident lawyer at Chaffin Luhana, the consultation costs nothing and puts you under no obligation whatsoever.
Who Pays for Pittsburgh Uber Accidents?
Uber drivers may be technically “independent contractors” who operate under the Uber banner. Under this classification, the Uber driver’s personal auto insurance policy would be liable for accident injuries. However, many insurance policies refuse to cover an accident if the driver was operating in a “commercial” capacity unless the driver has a commercial driver’s license and policy.
Uber offers liability insurance to logged-in drivers that kicks in when the driver’s carrier denies the claim.
- During period 1, when the driver is logged in but has not accepted a ride, Uber covers up to $50,000 per person, up to $100,000 per accident, and up to $25,000 in property damage.
- During period 2, when the driver has accepted a trip, liability coverage increases to $1 million.
- During period 3, when the rider is in the car, liability coverage extends up to $1 million, with limited coverage for property damage and uninsured motorist coverage.
What to Do If You’ve Been in an Uber Accident in Pittsburgh, PA?
Whether you’re an Uber passenger, an Uber driver, or another driver, seeking immediate medical attention is paramount following an Uber accident in Pittsburgh. Even if you “feel fine,” it’s best to call 9-1-1 and have yourself checked for whiplash, herniated discs, meniscus tears, and other latent car accident injuries.
If you’re an Uber passenger involved in a collision, you may want to do the following…
- Use your phone to snap photos and videos of the crash scene and property damage, if possible.
- Make note of the driver’s name and information and contact info of other parties involved.
- Try to get contact information of any eyewitnesses who saw the crash.
- Do not assume the Uber driver’s policy will cover your injury claim. You may need a Pittsburgh lawyer to fight.
If you’re an Uber driver hit by another vehicle, you may want to do the following…
- Call 9-1-1 to file an accident report and seek medical attention, even if the damage seems minor.
- Take photos, looking particularly for skid marks or lack thereof. Get witness contact information.
- Get the other driver’s license plate number, insurance provider, and contact information.
- Be careful what you say, resisting the bait to apologize or admit liability for the crash.
- Contact Uber to find out if you are allowed to continue driving for them during the investigation.
- Call your insurance provider to find out who pays for the accident.
- Contact a Pittsburgh Uber accident attorney to negotiate for compensation.
If you’re driving another vehicle and get struck by an Uber driver, you may want to do the following…
- Get the names and contact information of all witnesses.
- Take as many photos of the accident scene and cars involved from different angles as possible.
- Call the police from the accident scene to file a report, insisting that the Uber driver stick around.
- Contact a law firm to represent your best interests, particularly when dealing with insurers.
Do You Need an Pittsburgh Uber Accident Attorney?
It is always in your best interest to consult with an Uber accident lawyer before contacting Uber or the insurance companies. These third parties are most interested in protecting their reputations and bottom lines, rather than providing adequate compensation for your injuries.
Their modus operandi is to Deflect, Deny, and Diminish your claim.
The personal injury lawyers at Chaffin Luhana, on the other hand, only get paid if YOU get paid, so they are similarly interested in achieving the highest possible amount to cover your physical and emotional injuries.
For debilitating and long-lasting injuries, policy minimums often prove woefully inadequate. Uber accident victims may receive compensation to cover all current AND FUTURE medical expenses and lost wages, as well as an estimation of their “pain and suffering.” In some cases, wrongdoers are ordered to pay punitive and wrongful death damages.
Ride-Sharing Laws in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh laws require that:
- Uber vehicles be from Model Year 2006 or higher with at least four doors.
- Uber vehicles be in good condition after passing state inspection.
- Uber drivers be at least 21 years of age with a valid state driver’s license.
- Uber drivers maintain current vehicle registration and carry locally accepted insurance.
According to the Public Vehicle-For-Hire Innovation Act:
- Uber drivers may operate under a two-year experimental license Public Utility Commission agreement.
- Privately owned vehicles used for public transportation must be contacted by app, not street-hailed.
- Rideshare drivers may not use taxi stands to solicit business.
- Background checks and minimal insurance levels are required ($50,000 / $100,000 / $25,000)
- Photographic access of the vehicle driver and license plate must be sent to passengers prior to pick-up.
- Uber drivers must pass criminal background, sex offender database, and driver history checks.
Contact Chaffin Luhana For Uber Accident Claims in Pennsylvania
Chaffin Luhana handles Uber accident claims for both ride-sharers and other motorists sharing the road. Our Pittsburgh PA Uber accident attorneys have recovered over $1 billion on behalf of our clients.
Our plaintiffs do not pay a cent upfront. All legal fee coverage comes directly from the final settlement or jury award. Contact us 24/7 to schedule your free consultation with a seasoned Pittsburgh personal injury attorney.
Uber Injury Accident Law Firm in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Chaffin & Luhana LLP
615 Iron City Dr,
Pittsburgh, PA 15205