Roopal P. Luhana is a founding Partner of Chaffin Luhana. Ms. Luhana’s parents migrated their family from India to the United States when Ms. Luhana was age five to give their children a better life. Ms. Luhana’s parents instilled a strong work ethic, drive, and compassion in her from an early age. Those values are consistent with what Ms. Luhana does in her practice every day. Since joining the private sector, Ms. Luhana’s practice focuses on representing injured consumers in mass tort, product liability, and catastrophic personal injury litigation. In 2010, Ms. Luhana co-founded the firm as a national plaintiffs-only law firm with Partner Eric Chaffin.
Ms. Luhana has been recognized by the courts for her commitment to women’s causes. She was a panelist at the 2017 Duke Law Conference Panel for Women and Minorities in Leadership Positions in MDLs and will be involved in drafting MDL Best Practices for federal judges. Ms. Luhana also served as one of only two court-appointed women on the Plaintiff Steering Committee in the In Re: Yasmin and Yaz (Drospirenone) Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation in the Southern District of Illinois. Ms. Luhana further works closely with the firm’s female clients and co-counsel on transvaginal mesh injury cases, including those involving the Bard Avaulta Mesh, Mentor Sling, and the Gynecare Prolift.
Over the course of her career, Ms. Luhana has served on committees in other multi-district litigations (MDLs) involving over-the-counter consumer products and defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices, including the Discovery Committee in the Guidant MDL. She was also extensively involved in the denture cream litigation in federal and state courts and served as the Chair of the Law & Briefing Committee in the federal Denture Cream MDL.
Ms. Luhana has further litigated a number of significant nationwide class actions. For example, she served as class counsel in the In Re: IPO Securities Litigation, which recently settled for $586 million and she was also class counsel in the ETS nationwide litigation which resulted in an $11.1 million settlement for teaching candidates who were inaccurately scored on PPLT tests. She also served as class counsel in a national consumer fraud action against IBM, resulting in a $35 million settlement for purchasers of defective IBM hard drives.
Prior to practicing as a plaintiffs’ trial lawyer, Ms. Luhana gained invaluable experience as a law clerk for the now retired Judge Marina Corodemus who was the Mass Tort Judge of New Jersey. Judge Corodemus helped shape the way Ms. Luhana practices law by teaching her to be a strong, but fair and balanced voice for victims. While clerking for Judge Corodemus, Ms. Luhana managed thousands of mass tort cases and various class actions. She also worked closely with the judge to develop case management orders and strategies for efficiently and effectively managing and resolving cases.
Ms. Luhana resides with her family in Brooklyn, New York. When Ms. Luhana is not working on cases or with her clients, she enjoys spending time with her husband and two daughters.
Additional Plaintiff Successes
- Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee Member in In Re: Yasmin and Yaz (Drospirenone) Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation, which resulted in over $2 billion in settlements for thousands of women.
- Plaintiffs’ Counsel in In Re: Denture Cream Litigation, which resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars in recoveries for individual plaintiffs.
- $9 million individual single product liability settlement against a product manufacturer.
- $2.9 million individual single product liability settlement against a hip implant manufacturer.
- $1.75 million individual single product liability settlement against a birth control manufacturer.
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Mass Torts
- Product Liability
- Environmental – Water Contamination
Recognitions, Publications, and Lectures
- Panelist, 2017 Duke Law Conference Panel for Women and Minorities in Leadership Positions in MDLs.
- Chair, Law & Briefing Committee in the In Re: Denture Cream MDL, S.D. Florida
- Super Lawyer, New York, 2011-2016
- Author, The Legal Examiner
- Seton Hall University School of Law; J.D.; Merit Scholar
- Rutgers University, Douglass College; B.A. in Political Science & Economics
Memberships, Affiliations, and Philanthropy
- Leaders Forum, American Association for Justice
- Member, InjuryBoard
- Trustee, Chaffin Luhana Foundation
- New Jersey
- New York
- D. New York
- D. New York
- D. New York