AssociateKendra Y. Goldhirsch is an Associate with Chaffin Luhana in the firm’s New York office. Kendra is a 2015 and 2016 Super Lawyers Rising Star for the New York Metro area. Ms. Goldhirsch’s practice focuses on complex product liability and mass tort litigation, as well as significant personal injury matters. She has developed particular expertise in the area of pharmaceutical and medical device litigation.
Ms. Goldhirsch currently handles the day-to-day management of the firm’s 3T Heater Cooler Unit and Xarelto litigations. She has been a member of multiple trial teams in pharmaceutical bellwether cases that were tried to verdict in state and federal courts. Ms. Goldhirsch has further prepared successful petitions to centralize mass tort litigations. She also briefed successful dispositive and evidentiary motions and oppositions addressing a variety of topics including, jurisdiction, removal and remand, forum non-convenies, complex expert and regulatory matters, drug labeling, and federal preemption.
Before joining Chaffin Luhana, Ms. Goldhirsch was an associate at another prominent national plaintiffs firm, where she represented thousands of injured individuals in pharmaceutical and medical device cases. In 2014, Ms. Goldhirsch was a member of the Actos Multidistrict Litigation trial team that secured a multi-billion dollar verdict. (See Allen, et al. v. Takeda Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd. et al., Case No. 6:12-cv-00064). She was also involved in briefing a successful motion in limine opposition that resulted in the admission of evidence of a hip implant recall in the DePuy ASR California state court bellwether trial. Ms. Goldhirsch also prepared presentations and appeared at hearings and Case Management Conferences on behalf of the DePuy PSC. The DePuy ASR litigation and ultimately resolved with a large global settlement prior to any trials.
Ms. Goldhirsch has been involved in Electronically Stored Information (ESI) discovery in a number of litigations. In the DePuy ASR Hip Implant Multidistrict litigation (MDL), Ms. Goldhirsch coordinated the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee’s (PSC) review of over 60 million pages of corporate ESI discovery on behalf of the Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee (PEC). She also managed the white papers submissions that were used by PSC counsel for corporate deposition preparation. Ms. Goldhirsch has also negotiated corporate discovery of ESI in an Over-The-Counter dietary supplement litigation. She further managed a team responsible for targeted document review in the Fosamax MDL to support plaintiffs’ preemption briefing.
Ms. Goldhirsch’s mass tort litigation experience has included various products including 3T Heater Cooler Unit, Actos, Cochlear Implants, Accutane, Avandia, DePuy ASR, Fosamax, Hydroxycut Dietary Supplements, Power Morcellator, Seroquel, and Xarelto.
In addition to mass tort litigation, Ms. Goldhirsch litigates catastrophic single-event cases from inception. As such, she is responsible for researching and investigating theories of liability and causation, drafting pleadings, motions, and discovery, and the preparation of experts, trial submissions and settlement materials.
Kendra’s 2017 Chaffin Luhana Foundation charity donation was to UNIDOS. Puerto Rico was devastated by Hurricane Maria, leaving millions of residents without electricity, communications, and clean water. Kendra’s contribution will help UNIDOS continue to serve the immediate and long-term needs of families and communities on the island.
Additional Plaintiff Successes
- Member of the trial teams for pharmaceutical bellwether trials in:
- In Re: Actos [Pioglitazone] Products Liability Litigation, MDL Docket No. 2299;
- In Re: Fosamax Products Liability Litigation II, MDL 2243 (D.N.J.) (femur fracture); and
- New Jersey State Court Accutane bellwether case, Kathleen Rossitto v. Hoffman-La Roche, 007481-10
- Lead brief writer for:
- Plaintiff’s case-specific and general medical causation Daubert opposition brief in In Re: Actos [Pioglitazone] Products Liability Litigation, MDL Docket No. 2299;
- Plaintiff’s case-specific and general medical causation Daubert opposition brief In Re: Fosamax Products Liability Litigation II, MDL Docket No. 2243; and
- Plaintiffs’ opposition to Order to Show Cause on Preemption in In Re: Fosamax Products Liability Litigation II, MDL 2243 (D.N.J.) (femur fracture)
- Plaintiff’s Summary Judgment opposition and oppositions to motions to exclude plaintiffs’ experts (Kemp motions) in New Jersey State Court Seroquel bellwether cases
- Plaintiff’s Summary Judgment opposition on the adequacy of the label and proximate causation in a New Jersey State Court Accutane bellwether case
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Mass Torts
- Product Liability
- Premises Liability
- Auto and Trucking
- Workplace Injuries
Recognitions and Publications
- Super Lawyer Rising Stars, New York Metro, 2015, 2016, and 2017
- Co-Author, “The Consent Requirement on a Removal Petition, PaJustice News. Vol IX, No. 2.” (May 2016)
- Author, The Legal Examiner
- Brooklyn Law School
- Boston University; B.A. in Psychology and Sociology
Memberships, Affiliations, and Philanthropy
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Member, InjuryBoard
- New York
- E.D. New York
- S.D. New York
- U.S. Supreme Court