Is Your Medication Causing Dangerous Side Effects?
There is an old saying that sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. While medications are prescribed to treat ailments, sometimes the side effects of a drug are as dangerous – or more so – than the disease itself.
The Federal Food and Drug Administration has placed “black box” labels on certain drugs– warning of possible severe side effects.
At Chaffin Luhana, we fight for the rights of patients severely injured by their medication by filing drug lawsuits against the manufacturers and other entities involved in promoting these medications to the public.
While many drugs have potential side effects – and it is always crucial to discuss possible side effects with the doctor or pharmacist – patients should understand that symptoms arising after beginning a drug regimen may stem from their medication.
If you or someone you know takes any of the following medications, become familiar with possible side effects. While this is far from a complete list of potentially dangerous drugs or devices, drug lawsuits have already been filed for patients allegedly injured by these pharmaceuticals:
- Actemra usage causing live failure, heart failure, and strokes
- Injectafer Iron Infusions usage causing severe hypophosphatemia
- Limbrel usage causing liver and lung injuries such as DILI, pancreatitis, and hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP)
- Onglyza usage causing heart disease and heart attacks
- Proton pump inhibitors usage causing kidney failure
- Tasigna usage causing atherosclerosis or artery disease
- Viread / Truvada (TDF) usage causing kidney and bone density injuries
- Uloric usage causing heart attacks, stroke, or death
- Viberzi usage causing pancreatitis
- Xeljanz usage causing blood clots in the lungs (pulmonary emboli) or death
While a lawsuit cannot restore you to health, it can provide compensation for your injuries and continuing care needs.
While gout is a painful disease, it is not generally life-threatening. Unfortunately, febuxostat, marked under the brand name UIoric as a gout treatment, may cause serious cardiovascular issues in patients, including death.
Unfortunately, there are few drugs on the market for treating gout, which results from uric acid buildup in the body. Uloric can reduce uric acid in the bloodstream, but possibly at a terrible price for the patient.
If you take UIoric and experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately or go to the emergency room:
- Chest pain
- Difficulty speaking
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- Sudden, bad headache
- Weakness on one side of the body
These symptoms may signal a heart attack, stroke or another cardiovascular event. At Chaffin Luhana, we represent patients affected by this medication in a Uloric lawsuit.
Patients diagnosed with rheumatoid or psoriatic arthritis, or with ulcerative colitis, may find themselves prescribed Xeljanz by their doctor. That is the brand name of Tofacitinib.
Common side effects of the drug may include headache, diarrhea, or high blood pressure. The most serious side effects include:
- Cancer – lymphoma and other cancers may develop
- Pulmonary embolism – a blood clot in the lung
- Severe infection – including tuberculosis and invasive opportunistic infections.
- Xeljanz has also potentially been linked to death.
Our experienced dangerous drug attorneys are handling Xeljanz lawsuits on behalf of these patients whose lives were devastated, or cut short by this drug.
Contact Chaffin Luhana Today for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one have suffered serious side effects from any type of medication, you need the services of our experienced personal injury lawyers at Chaffin Luhana.
Nationwide, we represent clients suffering from the side effects of dangerous medications. We will provide a caring, compassionate and experienced team that is available to you 24/7.
Our integrity, resilience, and perseverance mean we leave no stone unturned in our fight for justice. Contact us today by text, e-mail, or phone. Consultations are always free.