Motorcycle Accident Statistics Emphasize Need for Rider Safety
The weather is warming up and motorcycles are hitting the roadways once again. Motorcycle riders and other motorists must take care to be alert and safety-conscious on the roads of Pennsylvania, so they don’t become the next statistic.
Motorcycle Death Statistics
- Nearly 5,000 people were killed on motorcycles in 2017 – a 5.6% decrease (300 less) than in 2016.
- Motorcyclist fatalities were 28 times more common than passenger vehicle fatalities, per mile traveled.
- From 2016-2017, motorcycle fatalities declined in 30 states, stayed the same in 2, and increased in 18.
- Motorcycles accounted for 14% of overall traffic fatalities, and 17% of passenger vehicle fatalities.
- States with the most motorcycle fatalities include Florida (555), California (529), and Texas (458).
- The motorcycle is the only vehicle in 40% of fatal motorcycle accidents.
Motorcycle Accident Injury Statistics
- Motorcycle accidents result in at least 88,000 injuries each year.
- 98% of motorcycle accidents involve injury to the motorcycle rider; 45% resulted in serious injury.
- Half of the injuries to motorcyclists are to the ankle, foot, lower leg, knee, or upper thigh.
- 13% of motorcycle accidents involved groin injuries in a multiple vehicle front impact at high speed.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- 25% of motorcyclists had BACs over the legal limit – the highest percentage of any vehicle class.
- Virginia recorded twice as many distracted driving cases from 2016-2017.
- One-third of states reported the majority of drivers involved in motorcycle crashes were older riders.
- 33% of motorcycle riders and 19% of passenger vehicles were speeding at the time of the crash.
Motorcycle Helmet Use Statistics
- 1,859 motorcyclist lives were saved by helmets in 2016.
- An additional 802 lives could’ve been saved had the motorcycle drivers been wearing helmets.
- Helmets reduce the risk of head injuries by 69% and deaths by 37%.
Risk Factors for Motorcycle Crashes
- 97% of motorcycles crashes occur in fair conditions, and are not affected by the weather.
- 91% of motorcycle accidents take place on non-interstate roadways.
- 66% of motorcycle crashes do not occur at intersections.
- 57% of crashes occur in urban areas, compared to 43% in rural areas.
- 59% of motorcycle crashes happen during the day, compared to 36% at night, and 5% at dusk or dawn.
Contact a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident through little to no fault of your own, or if you have lost a loved one in a motorcycle crash, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost time off work, and emotional hardship.
Chaffin Luhana offers expert representation to plaintiffs in New York, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia with no upfront costs. Our attorneys have recovered over $1 billion for our plaintiffs, including motorcyclists and passenger vehicle occupants.
Contact a Pittsburgh motorcycle accident attorney at our firm for a free case review.