What is the Average Personal Injury Payout?
There is no “average” personal injury payout since every accident, and every case is unique. The best thing to do is to talk to a Pittsburgh personal injury attorney as soon as possible. That way, you’ll have the information you need to make sound decisions about your future.
The law is an inexact science
Like any other occupation, the legal profession suffers from its share of popular misconceptions. For example– our justice system operates according to hard, inflexible rules, like those which govern the worlds of mathematics or science.
In reality, each case is unique, just as each accident victim has their own story to tell. Judges, juries, and even lawyers have a wide degree of latitude in deciding how to handle the issues that come before them.
This is one of the many reasons why trying to be your own attorney is rarely a good idea. Only a skilled professional can sort through the countless legal, medical, and financial aspects of a personal injury case– and arrive at the best possible resolution for their client.
How the claim settlement process works in six steps
So how does the claim settlement process work? Here’s a summary of the way that most cases unfold:
- The consultation phase: The accident victim sits down with an attorney to discuss the impact the accident has had on their life. This gives the legal team enough background information to start the next phase of the process.
- The research phase: The attorney, along with the office staff, work hard to understand the legal and medical context of the client’s injuries and their suffering.
- The demand letter phase: A demand letter is a notice sent to the other side requesting a set amount of compensation. It outlines the reasons why you’re entitled to the funds and urges a quick resolution to the matter.
- The counter-offer phase: The other side rarely agrees to the initial stipulations set out in the demand letter. More often, the opposing counsel tries to dispute the facts of the case while making a counter-offer– setting up the framework for the next step in the process.
- The negotiation phase: This is the step that calls for sophisticated legal and interpersonal skills. The other side will do everything possible to wear your attorney down. Good lawyers know how to use facts and logic to counter these tactics. They also understand the importance of standing up to intimidation.
- The resolution phase: This is the step in the process that makes all the others worthwhile. When it’s over, you’ll have the most favorable results that your attorney can achieve. In addition, you’ll also have a solid foundation for the rest of your life, knowing that you’ve done something positive and empowering on your own behalf.
Now that you see how the process works, the next step is to contact a personal injury lawyer in your area. Here are some tips for choosing the right firm:
- Ask questions: You need to know about the law firm’s resources, track record, and reputation in the legal community.
- Never tolerate high-pressure tactics: No reputable law firm will try to strong-arm you into becoming its client. Instead, it will give you the facts you need and let you make up your own mind.
- Insist on a free consultation: The last thing you need at this point in your life is more things to worry about. Any law firm worthy of your consideration will never charge you a dime to listen to your story.
- Keep your eye on the objective: Too many accident victims find themselves suffering long-term consequences after giving in to short-term worries. Learn from their example. You should settle for nothing less than a fair and just resolution to your case.
Contact us today
Our attorneys have recovered more than $1 billion for their clients during their years of practice. Put their expertise to work for you by getting in touch with us today. We make sure your story is told, and your injuries are not minimized. Contact us today for a free consultation—we’re available 24/7.